Notes from the field: Death following ingestion of an edible marijuana product

7/24/15–In March 2014, no rx the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) learned of the death of a man aged 19 years after consuming an edible marijuana product. CDPHE reviewed autopsy and police reports to assess factors associated with his death and to guide prevention efforts. This case illustrates a potential danger associated with recreational edible marijuana use. Although the decedent in this case was advised against eating multiple servings at one time, search he reportedly consumed all five of the remaining servings of the THC-infused cookie within 30–60 minutes after the first serving, suggesting a need for improved public health messaging to reduce the risk for overconsumption of THC. Read